Sunday, February 17, 2008

"Hey, what do you do all week?"

Well, I think somewhere in my bio area I mentioned I was a fulltime photojournalist for a large newspaper here in NJ. We've recently had a big push for online content at the paper and are posting a lot of photo galleries. I'm not going to go into the newspaper vs. the internet debate as the future will show the winner, I will say that the newspaper combined with the internet as gotten a lot more of my work off the cuttingroom floor. While a few short years ago I'd shoot a job and get one, two, maybe three images into print. While that still holds true today, the internet has opened doors where now the out-takes of the shoot, not always the duds, but ones that didn't fit the page layout or tie in directly with the story now have a new life, the internet photo gallery. (Click on the photo for the gallery).


This was shot at a kid's gymnastics program. There wasn't a written story and it ran as a small photo layout. These 3 years old and their moms had a blast running, jumping, limbo'in ... just an all around good time. These kids will grow up fast, so it was nice to see the parents spending some real quality time with them.

This next group of photos was shot at a local elementary school on their 100th day of the school year. These kindergarteners where asked to dress up as if they were 100 years old ... pushing the number thing I guess.
Some pretty funny stuff going on .... like when asked what will you be doing when you're 100, one kid said he will "bury himself." Another good hearted assignment and with jobs like this I am grateful for the internet. The paper only had room to run one small photo in the paper which makes sense as it was a small story, but the images were fun to shoot and it's great they had a second chance at life.
The a
bove photos are a couple of linked galleries to the Asbury Park Press where I spend my weekdays. I will only link to galleries that are a little more on the lighter side. Photos of people's misery, a sometimes large part of my day, can stay in the ink ... after all you came here through a happy wedding photo site. Check 'em out if you have the time.

No comments: